Vice-president of Ghana says thank you to Huntingdon youngsters????
A GROUP of young people who raised �1,600 to pay for a fire engine to be shipped to Ghana have received a personal thank you from the country’s vice-president.
The group of 11 youngsters, all former youth advisory committee members of Huntingdon Youth Centre, received their certificates just last month, three years after they had raised the money for the project.
They were inspired to raise money for the project after hearing about the difficulties members of the Ghana National Fire Service face from Cambridgeshire watch commander Trevor Lindsay.
Mr Lindsay had visited the west African country as part of a training exercise set up by the UK World Rescue Organisation.
The 4X4 Mercedes rescue engine was donated by Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue. The youth centre committee raised the transport costs by holding sponsored bag packs at supermarkets, a jumble sale and a car boot sale. They also set up a donation website for the appeal.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Lindsay said: “The young people should be proud of their achievements. They gave up their time and worked hard to raise the funds for the good of others. This was a very enjoyable project, benefiting all concerned.”
Pictured from left to right are deputy chief fire officer Chris Strickland, community safety officer Kevin James, Joley Dignan, Daniel Bevan, Jeanine Bennett, Nicole Liddiard, Bronte Dyne, Eric Walker, Darren Brett, and Mr Lindsay.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 3 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 4 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 5 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 6 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 7 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 8 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
- 9 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 10 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status