UPDATE: Rowan Atkinson discharged from hospital after McLaren F1 crash in Cambs
COMEDY legend Rowan Atkinson has been discharged from hospital following a crash in his McLaren F1 supercar in Cambridgeshire last night.
The 56-year-old Blackadder star is thought to have lost control of the �650,000 vehicle while driving on the A605 at Haddon, near Peterborough, at around 7.30pm.
The car is thought to have spun off the road, before hitting a tree and catching fire. Mr Atkinson was taken to Peterborough City Hospital with a minor shoulder injury and stayed at hospital overnight.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “One crew from Stanground, one crew from Dogsthorpe and a rescue vehicle from Dogsthorpe were called to a report of a car fire on the A605 near the Haddon services.
“This was a fire caused by a single vehicle road traffic collision. The driver of the vehicle was out of the car before the arrival of firefighters.
“Crews extinguished the fire using one hose reel.”
Mr Atkinson - regarded as one of the finest comedy actors of all time for his work on Not the Nine O’Clock News, Blackadder and Mr Bean - is renowned for his love of fast cars.
- 1 St Ivo Academy celebrate the success of its star girls teams and international call ups
- 2 St Ivo Dance alumnae stars in Britain's Got Talent, the West End and Comic Relief
- 3 Hunts history festival kicked off with a bang!
- 4 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 5 Top roles confirmed at council owned housing firm
- 6 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 7 New archdeacon for Huntingdon and Wisbech
- 8 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 9 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 10 Stress, anxiety, mental health and depression prompt rise in days off
He recently recorded the fastest lap time in BBC Top Gear’s “Star in a Reasonably Priced Car” feature.