UPDATE: Man dies in Upwood house fire
A VILLAGE community has spoken of its shock after an elderly man died in a house fire.
Residents said they were “terribly sad” at the death of the man at the bungalow in High Street, Upwood after a fire contained to one room inside the house early this morning (Thursday, August 23).
Police, fire and ambulance were called to the scene of the blaze at 7.32am after hearing reports that someone may be inside the property.
“Fire fighters in breathing apparatus entered the bungalow and discovered the body of a man,” a spokeswoman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue said.
“Fire and police officers remain at the scene to carry out a joint investigation to establish the cause of the fire. The fire was contained to the room it started.”
You may also want to watch:
They had dealt with the fire by 8am but officers have closed the High Street while they carry out their investigations.
It is expected to open later this afternoon.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 6 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 7 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 10 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
Neighbours said the house where the fire took place belonged to long-time Upwood resident Ivan Hempstead.
One person living in the High Street, who did not want to be named, said: “It is quite a shock.
“It’s terribly sad and I hope we get a proper explanation about what happened.”
Another High Street resident said: “I can’t believe it. We’re all wondering what happened.”