UFO reports reveal sighting above Somersham
AN RAF officer had a close encounter with the third kind in Somersham nearly 15 years ago, it has been revealed.
The National Archives have released around 6,700 pages of UFO reports, including a picture of a ‘light ball craft’ landing in a unknown garden near Cambridge.
On a frosty November day a sergeant, from RAF Marham in Norfolk, spotted a bright white light for two to three seconds while on foot in Somersham in November 1998.
The mysterious object, that looked like a comet, was travelling in an arc to the north-east at 5.50am, and was closer to the Earth than the stars according to the report the sergeant made to the base commander.
Another airman at RAF Marham reported a white ball with a long tail over the A17 at Boston in the same month.
You may also want to watch:
The files also show how two fighter jets were scrambled from RAF Lakenheath after an object was spotted on radar travelling at 4,000mph over Suffolk in 1956.
In March 2007, two F-15s from RAF Lakenheath searched for an unidentified object that had appeared on radar. One of the pilots said it was between the size of a grapefruit and a soccer ball drifting between 17,000 and 18,000 ft above ground.
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 5 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
- 6 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 7 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 8 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 9 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 10 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
It is thought to have been part of a weather balloon that had fallen off.
INFORMATION: The UFO reports are available to download for a month free from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ufos