Two people treated for burns after gas explosion in Earith
- Credit: Archant
Two people suffered burns after a camping trip to Earith ended with a gas explosion.
Firefighters were called to Westview Marina in Marina Drive at about 7pm on Friday (June 19).
They found a large dome tent had been on fire, with nearly half of it damaged due to the blast.
An aerosol had been left in a gas cooker, which had then been switched on, causing the explosion.
Watch commander Jon Wade said: “On investigation, it transpired that when the family packed the car with camping equipment that morning, an aerosol deodorant can was put inside a halogen camping oven.
You may also want to watch:
“When the family arrived and started cooking their dinner, the oven was switched on, which heated the aerosol until it exploded, igniting the tent and causing burns to two casualties.”
He added: “Camping and enjoying the sunshine can be great fun but we would advise people keep fire safety at the forefront of their minds this summer.
- 1 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 2 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 3 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 6 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 9 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 10 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
“Keep aerosols well away from gas and always check inside any kind of oven - both out camping and at home - before turning it on.
“It is also prudent to remember to never cook inside a tent; they are extremely flammable so always set up a cooking area well away from your tent.”
The two burns victims, both female, were given first aid by firefighters before ambulance staff took over.