Two people suffered burns after a camping trip to Earith ended with a gas explosion.

Firefighters were called to Westview Marina in Marina Drive at about 7pm on Friday (June 19).

They found a large dome tent had been on fire, with nearly half of it damaged due to the blast.

An aerosol had been left in a gas cooker, which had then been switched on, causing the explosion.

Watch commander Jon Wade said: "On investigation, it transpired that when the family packed the car with camping equipment that morning, an aerosol deodorant can was put inside a halogen camping oven.

"When the family arrived and started cooking their dinner, the oven was switched on, which heated the aerosol until it exploded, igniting the tent and causing burns to two casualties."

He added: "Camping and enjoying the sunshine can be great fun but we would advise people keep fire safety at the forefront of their minds this summer.

"Keep aerosols well away from gas and always check inside any kind of oven - both out camping and at home - before turning it on.

"It is also prudent to remember to never cook inside a tent; they are extremely flammable so always set up a cooking area well away from your tent."

The two burns victims, both female, were given first aid by firefighters before ambulance staff took over.