Two cyclists in London - Edinburgh - London ride taken to hospital after crash with stationary car near Ramsey
- Credit: Archant
TWO cyclists competing in a 1,400-kilometre bike ride were taken to hospital after they crashed into a car door.
The pair, believed to be Peter Holland and Jeremy Sharp, were on the penultimate day on Thursday of a tour from London to Edinburgh and back to London (LEL) when they crashed into an opened car door on Ugg Mere Court Road at around 5pm.
Magpas Helimedix doctor Nick Foster and paramedic Rob Riches treated a man in his 60s. He was taken to Peterborough City Hospital by land ambulance.
A Magpas spokesman said he arrived in a stable condition.
A Cambridgeshire police spokesman said officers were called shortly after 5pm after two cyclists, one on a bike and the other on a trike, were injured. He added that both riders suffered minor injuries and there was slight damage to the car.
You may also want to watch:
Roger Cortis said on the LEL Facebook page: “I have spoken to two riders who were taken to hospital after accidents as they approached St Ives southbound.
“Both Peter Holland and Jeremy Sharp are now home, both battered and bruised, but both in reasonable spirits.
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 3 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 4 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
- 5 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 6 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 7 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 10 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
“Both are resting now for a few days - but I am sure that we all wish them a speedy get well and hope to see them on the road again in the near future.”
The cyclists were heading to St Ives from Kirton, Lincolnshire, ahead of riding to Great Easton, Essex, and London the following day.
The crash wasn’t the only one of the tour as a man is in a Leeds hospital after an incident with a car.