Turkey miraculously escapes becoming Christmas dinner after surviving being shot by farmer
- Credit: Archant
A turkey which was set to become Christmas dinner has had a miraculous escape after surviving being shot in the head with a bolt gun.
The turkey, which has been nicknamed Turkules, is now enjoying a permanent reprieve at Wood Green Animal Shelter, in Godmanchester, after being handed over to the charity by a farmer.
Turkules had been destined for the dinner table but somehow survived being shot with a bolt gun and loaded onto a lorry holding 15 tonnes of dead birds. When he arrived at a farm, in Cambridgeshire, ready to be delivered to customers, Turkules’ head popped up, to the amazement of the farm staff.
Fortunately for this plucky bird, the farmer couldn’t bring himself to cause him any more distress, so he kept Turkules in a heated room with food and water. Miraculously, Turkules survived and spent the Christmas break with the farmer. This week, he was delivered to Wood Green and is now looking for a new home having been checked over by the charity’s on-site veterinary team.
Marie Pavaday-Pillay, field and small animal welfare manager, at Wood Green said:
You may also want to watch:
“We’re rarely asked to take in turkeys but we are delighted to help rehome this very lucky bird. Turkules is such a character and he seems completely unfazed by his escapade! We would love to find him a new home where he has secure space to roam and enjoy his freedom.”
If you can offer Turkules a home, call Wood Green on 0300 303 9333 or go to www.woodgreen.org.uk and find out more.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 3 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 6 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 7 Huntingdon assistant land buyer wins graduate award from her peers
- 8 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 9 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 10 How well do you know Huntingdon?