Tricksters pretending to be fraud detectives target Godmanchester residents
- Credit: Archant
Fraudsters pretending to be police detectives have targeted two Godmanchester homes.
The tricksters called a person in St Ann’s Lane at 11am yesterday (Tuesday) claiming to be Detective constable Charlie Mitchell (collar EK619) from Hammersmith Fraud squad.
He said that someone had been caught using the person’s bank cards fraudulently.
A second person, of West Street, received a call from a man claiming to be Detective constable Phil Gate (collar EK619) from Hammersmith Police Station. The man said they had arrested a 27-year-old for using the person’s bank cards.
Pc Jo Grant said: “Information details offences whereby offenders will call you claiming to be a police officer. Various accounts have been used in order to try and get you to provide personal details over the phone which we are urging people not to do.
You may also want to watch:
“We will never ask you to confirm any of your bank or card details over the phone, if there has been a genuine offence that involves your bank or card details we will speak to you in person or arrange for you to come to your local police station.
“Please do not provide any of these details over the phone and if the person gives you a telephone number to call your bank back we urge you to check the number and then use a different phone from the one you originally received the call on, the reason for this is so that the suspect cannot “hijack” the call.”
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 6 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 7 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 10 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?