Tributes paid to Rony John who died after drowning in River Great Ouse in Huntingdon
- Credit: Archant
Tributes have been paid to the teenager who drowned in Huntingdon yesterday.
A major search for a boy, named locally as Rony John, was launched at 3.40pm after he was spotted having difficulty in the River Great Ouse when he was with friends.
After an extensive search, a body was recovered shortly after 2am this morning.
Police officers, firefighters and paramedics joined water search specialists from Spartan Rescue for the river search at Church Lane, Hartford.
Magpas Helimedix and a hazardous area rescue team had also joined by 6pm.
You may also want to watch:
A police spokesman said: “The death is not being treated as suspicious and will be passed to the coroner.”
Val Ford, headteacher at St Peter’s, said: “We’re just in shock. It is a total tragedy, especially for something to happen on the first day of summer holidays.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 7 Former Stevenage midfielder is the new manager of Eynesbury Rovers
- 8 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 9 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
“Our sympathies go to his family and the students who were with him at the time.”
Abbygail Alves posted on a Facebook tribute page: “It’s heart breaking to know I lost someone who meant beyond the world to me. Your smile made my day, it brightened up so many people’s lives and you know what meeting you 4 years ago was the best thing I ever did.
“I don’t possibly know how any of us are going to cope without you I miss you so much already and so does everyone else.”
Tommy Grimwood added: “You were a very good friend Rony John and that will never change.”
The formal identification of the body has not yet happened.
• Leave a tribute to the teenager by commenting below.