Tributes paid to Rony John who died after drowning in River Great Ouse in Huntingdon
- Credit: Archant
Tributes have been paid to the teenager who drowned in Huntingdon yesterday.
A major search for a boy, named locally as Rony John, was launched at 3.40pm after he was spotted having difficulty in the River Great Ouse when he was with friends.
After an extensive search, a body was recovered shortly after 2am this morning.
Police officers, firefighters and paramedics joined water search specialists from Spartan Rescue for the river search at Church Lane, Hartford.
Magpas Helimedix and a hazardous area rescue team had also joined by 6pm.
A police spokesman said: “The death is not being treated as suspicious and will be passed to the coroner.”
Val Ford, headteacher at St Peter’s, said: “We’re just in shock. It is a total tragedy, especially for something to happen on the first day of summer holidays.
- 1 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 2 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 3 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 4 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 5 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 6 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 7 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
- 8 Councillors vote to continue school transport for special needs schools
- 9 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 10 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
“Our sympathies go to his family and the students who were with him at the time.”
Abbygail Alves posted on a Facebook tribute page: “It’s heart breaking to know I lost someone who meant beyond the world to me. Your smile made my day, it brightened up so many people’s lives and you know what meeting you 4 years ago was the best thing I ever did.
“I don’t possibly know how any of us are going to cope without you I miss you so much already and so does everyone else.”
Tommy Grimwood added: “You were a very good friend Rony John and that will never change.”
The formal identification of the body has not yet happened.
• Leave a tribute to the teenager by commenting below.