Three kittens rescued from Huntingdonshire stack fire
- Credit: Archant
THREE kittens had a lucky escape when firefighters rescued them from eight tons of burning straw yesterday (June 17).
Firefighters were called to Kings Ripton Road, Huntingdon, just before 6pm to find a straw stack on fire.
It took the fire services an hour to bring the burning stack where the kittens were living under control.
Three kittens were rescued but were scorched and singed and remained with a vet today (June 18).
Kevin Creaton, crew commander, said: “This still acts as a timely reminder that if correct safety measures are not in place when clearing and burning rubbish on your land, the fire can soon escalate.
You may also want to watch:
“People should also check any long-standing piles of garden rubbish before setting fire to them as small animals can settle in them such as these kittens did and make their nests and dens inside.
“We were unable to save any other kittens and the kittens rescued were scorched and singed.”
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 5 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 9 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 10 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
The cause of the fire was believed to be spontaneous ignition.