Three jailed after Ramsey raid
- Credit: Archant
Three men have been jailed for more than 20 years between them after a burglary in Ramsey led to a head on smash as they made off pursued by the police.
One of the men, Daniel Willerton, 41, was injured in the crash and was arrested at the scene. Three other men in the car, including Charlie Edwards, 28, and Jody Stones, 33, fled.
Willerton, Edwards and Stones were all jailed at Cambridge Crown Court after admitting a series of offences.
After the hearing Detective Constable Tom Adams said: “The total disregard to the law and the safety of the public is disturbing and this sentence reflects how seriously we take burglary and driving offences.
“These were prolific offenders, but this result means they won’t be on our streets again for a long time and I hope that provides some sense of reassurance to the public.”
You may also want to watch:
Stones, of Eastern Avenue, Peterborough, was jailed for nine years after admitting three offences of burglary, including the Ramsey break-in, an offence in Yaxley where keys to a BMW car they were using were taken and another burglary in Peterborough.
Edwards, of Queens Walk, Peterborough, admitted dangerous driving, three offences of handling stolen goods and burglary and was locked up for seven years.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 6 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 7 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 8 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 9 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 10 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
Willerton, of Chesil Walk, Corby, was given three years and four months after admitting burglary.
The court heard that on August 14 the trio, and a fourth man who has not been identified, forced their way in to a house at Oilmills Road, Ramsey Mereside, and stole a safe, valuable coins, a digital camera and a watch.
They made off in a red BMW which had been stolen after a burglary in Yaxley a few days earlier.
A short while later a police officer spotted the stolen BMW and pursued it but it was involved in a head on collision with a Jaguar F Pace.
Willerton was arrested at the scene and was taken to hospital because of his injuries and the three other men fled, leaving the stolen items behind.
Stones was arrested at his home three days later after he was identified from CCTV images and police found property linking him to two other burglaries.
Edwards was arrested in October after his DNA was found in the BMW.