Thieves smash a hole in Sawtry newsagents to try and steal cash machine
- Credit: Archant
Audacious thieves have struck a newsagents in Sawtry overnight using a JCB in an attempt to steal the store’s cash machine.
It is understood that a high-powered dark car arrived at J R Green Newsagents, in Green End Road, with men inside at around 2.50am this morning (Wednesday).
The car was followed by a JCB and then a Nissan Navara pick-up truck, both were left at the scene.
The JCB smashed into the shop’s ATM causing serious damage to the post office but the thieves were unable to break open the machine which remains in place.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire police said: “Officers are particularly keen to trace a high-powered dark car that fled the scene towards Sawtry with three men inside.”
You may also want to watch:
Crime scene investigators arrived at the scene earlier this morning and Green End Road between Beaumaris Road and Blind Lane is likely to be closed until lunchtime.
Anyone with information regarding this incident should contact police on 101, call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111 or visit crimestoppers-uk.org.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 4 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 7 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 8 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
- 9 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester