NHS Anniversary: The old hospitals of Huntingdon
- Credit: NWAT
As part of our feature to mark the 73rd anniversary of the NHS on July 5, we look back at some of the old hospitals in Huntingdon.
Many readers will remember the old Primrose Lane Hospital which was a maternity hospital.
Our Hunts Post history columnist, Karl Brockett, explains: "The hospital on the original site was a fever hospital and housed the elderly and people with contagious diseases. It was called the Huntingdon Infectious Disease Hospital and was built around 1897.
"The advancement of Penicillin meant there was little use for these type of isolation wards and it later became the Primrose Lane Maternity Hospital."
The maternity hospital closed and in 1983 and relocated to a new unit at Hinchingbrooke Hospital. The former building on Primrose Lane is now residential housing.
Hinchingbrooke chief executive thanks hospital staff
Another old building on Mill Common, in Brampton Road, Huntingdon, was the Huntingdonshire infirmary and dispensary. Instituted by public subscription in 1798, it was extended in 1831 to improve its services to out-patients.
You may also want to watch:
"Later the Huntingdon County Hospital was built at the same location with money raised from the public and it replaced the old infirmary. This was a very old and daunting building inside and out and many older Huntingdonshire residents may remember their own experiences of visiting this place," says Mr Brockett.
"It also closed in 1983 and moved to Hinchingbrooke Hospital.
The old county hospital building is now a residential community building, but a lot of exterior features relating to the old hospital can still be found. It’s worth a look if you are ever passing by.
According to records, there was a workhouse that housed around 200 people situated at the bottom of St Peter’s Road, in Huntingdon, just off Ermine Street. It was opened in 1836 and its first meeting was on held on January 25 at The George Inn in Huntingdon.
- 1 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
- 2 Royal Oak in Hail Weston named as the best pub in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
- 4 Road closure in Huntingdon over weekend of July 31
- 5 Huntingdon man found with stash of drugs and cash is jailed
- 6 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 7 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 8 First post-lockdown Parkrun in St Neots held in memory of four runners
- 9 Brampton's 'fantastic' village fete welcomes 4,000 revellers
- 10 St Ives woman who sold ecstasy to school children avoids jail
Its operation was overseen by approximately 35 parish guardians. The building was completed in approximately 1837 and the first 'inmates' arrived in the autumn.
Later, it became Petersfield Hospital and housed elderly patients. The site is now the Walnut Tree housing estate.