The magic of books celebrated at St Ives annual Book Jam
- Credit: Archant
Books were brought to life in St Ives at the weekend as the town welcomed the return of its annual children’s book festival.
Hundreds of children were inspired on Saturday as the St Ives Corn Exchange played hosted to the sixth annual Book Jam event.
Youngsters packed into hall to hear from 15 published authors and illustrators, with sessions held by the likes of cartoonist Gary Northfield and illustrator Harriet Muncaster.
Also making an appearance was award winner JARVIS, who is best known for his work in Alan’s Big Scary Teeth, which has just received the title of best Book Illustration at the Victoria and Albert Illustration Awards.
Organised by Friends of St Ives Corn Exchange (ACE), the event aimed to encourage literacy and imagination in youngsters.
Ros Pascoe, from ACE, said: “The day was a great success once again. We had more than 500 bookings and some people just turned up on the day with their children.
“All the children had a thoroughly great time and the parents enjoyed it as much as their children.
- 1 St Neots Street Food Fest promises to be "bigger and better"
- 2 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 3 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 5 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 6 Plans to demolish barn and create organic food business
- 7 Philip Pope named mayor of St Ives for a second time
- 8 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 9 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 10 Public meeting to discuss Luton aircraft stacking system
“You have to encourage literacy in children and encourage them to read and write, and from the day some of them go away thoroughly inspired.”
Also on the day there was a visit from educational animal party group, Lion Learners, along with soft play area and colouring table.