Plans in place to mark 75th anniversary of VE Day
- Credit: Archant
We would love to hear from you if you are planning to celebrate VE Day.
Next week the nation will mark the 75th anniversary of VE Day.
The coronavirus pandemic has put paid to plans for street parties and other gatherings, but many, The Hunts Post included, are determined the occasion should not be marked in some way.
We have already heard about huge numbers of people in St Neots organising say-at-home parties and the initiative, organised by St Neots resident Sarah Beck, will see hundreds of people taking part.
Sarah is encouraging people to decorate their homes and have a picnic in their garden or lounge from 1pm on May 8.
Sarah, said: “If we can still observe social distancing but create a wonderful community spirit from our homes then that would be amazing.”
“I think it will really lift the spirits of everyone and be something to look forward too.
- 1 Cyclist left with serious injuries after bus collision in St Ives
- 2 Police called to reports of violence in Huntingdon
- 3 Unauthorised encampments across Cambs a 'tricky issue' says Police and Crime Commissioner
- 4 Drought officially declared in East Anglian region
- 5 Concerns about late-night noise if club is granted alcohol extension
- 6 Planning proposal for a new café to be reviewed by St Neots Town Council
- 7 Improved Ofsted rating for village primary school
- 8 Everything you need to know about the August train driver strike
- 9 New defibrillator mounted in St Neots to help save lives
- 10 Voi trial ‘confuses people’ about illegal e-scooters
The early May bank holiday has been moved to May 8 this year to coincide with VE Day.
If you live in St Neots and would like to join Sarah’s group on Facebook then visit: www.facebook.com/groups/1084390848608381/.
The Hunts Post is running a VE Day 75th anniversary special supplement, if you have any old photos or mementoes from the time, get in touch. If you are holding a VE Day Stay at Home party, then don’t forget to send us your photos. Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.