Plans in place to mark 75th anniversary of VE Day
- Credit: Archant
We would love to hear from you if you are planning to celebrate VE Day.
Next week the nation will mark the 75th anniversary of VE Day.
The coronavirus pandemic has put paid to plans for street parties and other gatherings, but many, The Hunts Post included, are determined the occasion should not be marked in some way.
We have already heard about huge numbers of people in St Neots organising say-at-home parties and the initiative, organised by St Neots resident Sarah Beck, will see hundreds of people taking part.
Sarah is encouraging people to decorate their homes and have a picnic in their garden or lounge from 1pm on May 8.
You may also want to watch:
Sarah, said: “If we can still observe social distancing but create a wonderful community spirit from our homes then that would be amazing.”
“I think it will really lift the spirits of everyone and be something to look forward too.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 3 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 4 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 5 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 6 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 7 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 8 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 9 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
The early May bank holiday has been moved to May 8 this year to coincide with VE Day.
If you live in St Neots and would like to join Sarah’s group on Facebook then visit: www.facebook.com/groups/1084390848608381/.
The Hunts Post is running a VE Day 75th anniversary special supplement, if you have any old photos or mementoes from the time, get in touch. If you are holding a VE Day Stay at Home party, then don’t forget to send us your photos. Send to: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.