Community pub set to open its doors for the first time
- Credit: Archant
A new village pub will celebrate its grand opening on Friday.
The Grafham Trout will welcome its first punters for a tipple from 6pm at its new home, opposite the village hall, in Brampton Road.
The idea for the pub was first mooted in 2012 following a survey, in which residents said they would like to see a shop and a pub restored to the village.
A community shop opened its doors a few years later and attentions then turned to opening a pub. Some £16,000 was raised through a share offer to residents and further funds were obtained through the A14 community fund and via community fundraising.
A spokesman for the project said: “The idea of having a pub was to provide a community space for all, where it will welcome groups running clubs, families residents and all visitors to our village.
You may also want to watch:
“It will also provide a comfortable social space for those who no longer drive and give them relief from isolation.
“Those involved with getting this project completed need to be applauded for all their hard work and efforts for the benefit of the local community.”
- 1 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 2 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 3 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 4 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 5 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 6 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 9 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 10 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'