Supermarket Waitrose begins consultation to close Huntingdon branch
- Credit: Archant
Supermarket chain Waitrose has announced it is proposing to close its Huntingdon branch in the autumn.
The retailer is in talks to shut its store in St Benedict’s Court which, it said “requires significant investment which is unlikely to allow the shop to be profitable over the long-term”.
It is understood that the store could close in September.
Neil Westbrook, Waitrose head of retail operations, said: “It is with regret that we are proposing to close our Huntingdon branch in the autumn subject to consulting with our store Partners [employees]. Despite the best efforts of everyone concerned we have not, as yet, been able to find a solution that can ensure the store’s long-term sustainability given the significant investment needed.
“We will be consulting with our store Partners over the coming weeks to make sure they have all the support they need and are grateful to our customers for their understanding.”
The spokesman could not confirm how many jobs would be lost as a result of the closure.
By closing the branch, which is 40-years-old, the retailer will exercise the break clause in its lease. There are currently no plans for stores in St Ives and St Neots to close.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 3 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 4 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 5 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 6 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 7 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 10 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
Following the news Huntingdon residents have taken to Facebook to share their disappointment, with one user posting: “Oh no, not another closure. I love Waitrose and it’s always busy when I go in there. Such a shame for the staff and the town.”
The news follows the announcement last month by Mothercare that it would be closing its Huntingdon branch, also in St Benedict’s Court, at the beginning of March.