Stunning new building to be centre of Great Fen at Ramsey
- Credit: Archant
THE winning design for the Great Fen Visitor Centre has been revealed.
A team of Shiro Studio, Mesh Partnership and Equals Consulting won the Royal Institute of British Architects-run competition.
The judges said that the team’s “elegant proposals would sit beautifully within the expansive landscape” and “skilfully incorporated elements of the traditional Fenland building within an exciting contemporary visitor centre design.”
Kate Carver, Great Fen Project manager, added: “I am thrilled and excited that this outstanding design by the Shiro Studio team has won the competition.
“It embodies the spirit of the Great Fen with sensitivity, elegance and imagination.
You may also want to watch:
“We will create a truly special building here, one that is warm and welcoming, one that local people and visitors alike will enjoy using, and one that will resonate with the fantastic Fenland landscape being formed around it.
“The project partners were hugely impressed with the Shiro Studio team’s response to the competition brief, and to their understanding of and empathy with the vision of the Great Fen. We are all looking forward to working with Andrea Morgante and his colleagues to create this beautiful building.”
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 8 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 9 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 10 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced