Stansted Airport arrests: Flights operating as normal after incident
- Credit: Archant
STANSTED Airport has said flights are arriving and departing as normal following an incident in which two men were arrested after a plane was diverted to the Uttlesford transport hub.
Police confirmed a 30-year-old man and a 41-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of endangerment of an aircraft and taken to a police station for interview by detectives.
The men were arrested on board a Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) passenger plane, flight number PK709, which was flying from Lahore in Pakistan to Manchester and carrying 297 people.
A PIA spokesman confirmed all passengers on board were safe.
An RAF Typhoon was scrambled after an incident on board the aircraft within UK airspace.
You may also want to watch:
A Stansted Airport spokesman said: “Stansted Airport can confirm a Pakistan International Airways (PIA) Boeing 777 aircraft diverted to Stansted at 2.10pm this afternoon.
“The aircraft, bound for Manchester Airport, landed safely under escort of a military aircraft with Essex Police in attendance.
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 5 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 6 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 7 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 8 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
- 9 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 10 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
“The airport is open and flights are arriving and departing as normal with minimal delays.”
Two fire crews from Stansted were scrambled along with one from Leaden Roding, another from Harlow and two more from Dunmow. They were standing by at the scene.
An Essex Police spokeswoman said earlier: “Essex Police have boarded a passenger plane diverted to Stansted Airport and two men have been arrested on suspicion of endangerment of an aircraft.
“They have been removed from the plane.”
The incident is not thought to be terrorism-related at this stage, it is understood.