St Neots fundraiser set to take on Mount Everest challenge
- Credit: Archant
St Neots woman Von Howard is taking on the challenge of climbing to Everest Base Camp.
Von wants to raise as much money as possible for Papworth Hospital as a way of giving back to the staff who looked after her following her diagnosis with a rare syndrome.
Von said: “Four years ago I started having blackouts, underwent tests at Papworth and got diagnosed with Brugada syndrome, which is quite rare, and can be fatal.
“It’s also hereditary. Papworth fitted me with an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) which has saved my life several times in the last three years.
“As Brugada is hereditary my four children had to be tested, my youngest daughter has it, so Papworth are monitoring her as well. Her two children are undergoing testing each year.
“I decided I wanted to give something back to such an amazing hospital, so started fundraising. The first year I did a 100k walk from London to Cambridge. In the second year I did the national 3 Peaks Challenge in 24hours, and last year I climbed Mount Etna. This year I’m doing Everest Base Camp. “With my heart condition and ICD I’m only allowed to climb to 5,500m, which is what base camp is, so I’m pushing myself to my limits with this one.”
Von is hosting a charity barbeque on Saturday at Ye Old Sun, in Huntingdon Street, St Neots. The barbeque will be between 1-4pm.
- 1 New Toolstation branch to open in Huntingdon
- 2 Bosses warn of 'choppy waters' ahead for health trust
- 3 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 4 Pupils enjoy early jubilee celebration with all things royal
- 5 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 6 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 7 New organic coffee shop opens in St Neots
- 8 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 9 Woman who could barely walk is taking part in cycling event after shedding 19 stones
- 10 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
You can also donate to Von by visiting www.justgiving.com/fundraising/yvonnehendy4.