St Neots fundraiser set to take on Mount Everest challenge
- Credit: Archant
St Neots woman Von Howard is taking on the challenge of climbing to Everest Base Camp.
Von wants to raise as much money as possible for Papworth Hospital as a way of giving back to the staff who looked after her following her diagnosis with a rare syndrome.
Von said: “Four years ago I started having blackouts, underwent tests at Papworth and got diagnosed with Brugada syndrome, which is quite rare, and can be fatal.
“It’s also hereditary. Papworth fitted me with an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) which has saved my life several times in the last three years.
“As Brugada is hereditary my four children had to be tested, my youngest daughter has it, so Papworth are monitoring her as well. Her two children are undergoing testing each year.
You may also want to watch:
“I decided I wanted to give something back to such an amazing hospital, so started fundraising. The first year I did a 100k walk from London to Cambridge. In the second year I did the national 3 Peaks Challenge in 24hours, and last year I climbed Mount Etna. This year I’m doing Everest Base Camp. “With my heart condition and ICD I’m only allowed to climb to 5,500m, which is what base camp is, so I’m pushing myself to my limits with this one.”
Von is hosting a charity barbeque on Saturday at Ye Old Sun, in Huntingdon Street, St Neots. The barbeque will be between 1-4pm.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Former Stevenage midfielder is the new manager of Eynesbury Rovers
- 7 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 8 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 9 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 10 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
You can also donate to Von by visiting www.justgiving.com/fundraising/yvonnehendy4.