St Neots has elected its new mayor and deputy mayor
- Credit: St Neots Town Council
Stephen Ferguson has been elected as the mayor of St Neots and his deputy is Robert Simonis. They are both elected for a second term.
A vote took place on Tuesday night (May 4) at a St Neots Town Council meeting.
Cllr Ferguson said: “A few weeks ago I decided I wasn’t going to stand again, but I was contacted by so many people who said so many nice things.
“I think last year was a really difficult year for the whole town and it will be nice to be mayor as we finally bounce back from the pandemic and enjoy all the exciting things ahead that we have all missed out on. I wanted to be part of the recovery, more than anything else.”
Councillor Ferguson says he is really looking forward to launching a new youth council.
You may also want to watch:
“The youth council will be formed in June and this is huge thing for the town as it will basically deliver the next level of democracy. We also want to look at the accessibility of our town.”
Deputy mayor, Cllr Robert Simonis said: “I think it is a tremendous privilege to not only do this once last year, but to do it again. To be given another opportunity to carry on what we have been doing. Last year saw unprecedented times and it was a very different time to be a councillor. What I am looking forward to is having a more normal civic year with the events and the normal engagement with residents and businesses."
- 1 Police move in to close house after reports of anti-social behaviour
- 2 Man named following fatal collision near Bluntisham
- 3 New garden village on outskirts of St Neots will bring 10,000 homes
- 4 Jail for man who stole more than £25,000 from company
- 5 Vaccine centres offering earlier second dose AstraZeneca
- 6 Almost 100 'sexual and violent crimes' recorded in two of our towns in one month
- 7 Schoolgirl cuts her hair so friend can have a wig
- 8 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 9 Plans for Ox-Cam Arc are 'pretty awful'
- 10 Home of the Week: Former inn now a family home with equestrian facilities, for sale in Southoe