St Neots man cycling to Paris to give kids dream holiday
- Credit: Archant
AN EATON Socon man will cycle from London to Paris to fund the holiday of a lifetime for seriously ill and disabled children.
Graham Dorrington, 39, will embark on his journey on September 18, covering about 270 miles. Alongside other keen cyclists, Graham and his friend Richard Pike, 39, will set off from Bexley, south-east London, crossing the finish line four days later at the Eiffel Tower.
So far he has raised £185 of his £500 target for Dreamflight, a national charity which funds an annual trip to Florida for 192 children and their carers.
Graham’s partner Heidi McFadyen, 33, and her friends Deanna Sharratt and Michelle Jones were inspired to set up a fundraising group for the charity after Michelle’s 12-year-old son, Aidan, who suffers from the rare bone condition spondyloepimetaphyseal dysplasia, was nominated for the trip last year.
Heidi said: “It makes children realise that they are not alone – they are not the only child who has a disability or illness.”
You may also want to watch:
They now hope the charity’s Huntingdonshire arm can raise £3,500 to pay for a place for a child from the St Neots area.
Graham, who been preparing for the cycle challenge each evening, fitting in rides around shift work, added: “Completing this ride would be an achievement. It was something that Richard and I both fancied doing. We were talking in the pub one day and we decided that we wanted something to aim towards.”
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 7 Former Stevenage midfielder is the new manager of Eynesbury Rovers
- 8 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 9 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
INFORMATION: Heidi, Michelle and Deanna are keen to recruit more volunteers for the Hunts Dreamflight fundraising group. Call Deanna on 07970 656825.