St Neots cinema opens with special VIP ceremony
- Credit: Archant
It was a film premiere with a difference as special guests had the chance to soak up the atmosphere at the new St Neots cinema.
The opening ceremony involved the cutting of a film reel, speeches and a drinks and canapé reception.
This was followed by an exclusive showing of rebooted monster classic Godzilla, two days ahead of the release date.
Nick Bashford, general manager of Cineworld St Neots, said: “It has been amazing from start to finish, the support from every department has been amazing and the people of St Neots have made it what it is.
“It has been crying out for something like this – a community gathering point – for years.
You may also want to watch:
“In future I hope it becomes a beacon for the local area.”
Chris Goldsmith, managing director of the developers, Turnstone Estates, said: “I think it is fantastic for St Neots as St Neots is a big, growing town.
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 3 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 4 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 5 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 6 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 9 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 10 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
“It has been a pleasure and I hope to work in St Neots again.”
The cinema comes after more than seven years of campaigning, spearheaded by town councillor Barry Chapman.
He said: “I have to keep pinching myself, I can’t believe after all these years of work that we are finally here.
“If our predictions are right we are going to see a 25 per cent increase in retail sales and the night time economy becoming much more sociable and much more family-orientated, it is just amazing.
“It is far more than a cinema, it is putting the heart back into the town.”
INFORMATION: The cinema will open to the public on Friday (May 16). For more information, visit www.cineworld.co.uk.