St Neots campaigner calls for readers’ views on cycle parking
- Credit: Archant
A St Neots man is calling for more cycle parking in the town – and he wants suggestions from Hunts Post readers for where it should go.
Richard Cooper, volunteer group co-ordinator for the St Neots Sustrans Leisure Cycling Group, plans to present his proposals to Cambridgeshire County Council in an effort to encourage more people to make journeys by bike.
His ideas so far include Riverside Park, Priory Park, the Market Square, churches, and the bus stops for the Stagecoach X5 service from Oxford to Cambridge.
Mr Cooper said that he was inspired to take up the issue after being approached by a member of the public who asked him about the reason for the lack of cycle parking. He added: “Sustrans [the charity] wants to encourage more sustainable transport. I can get into town and back to Eaton Socon quicker on my bike than I can in a car, and I can get to the train station quicker on my bike.
“I would hope it would help the shops to thrive a bit more because it would get people to do local journeys and use local facilities.
“I would welcome any input and I would hope in the next couple of weeks to send them [CCC] a map [of suggested locations for cycle parking].”
A CCC spokesman said that it was looking into the scheme, and talking to Govia about the possibility of extra cycle parking at St Neots railway station.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 3 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 4 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 5 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 8 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 9 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 10 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
He added: “We are also looking elsewhere in St Neots, subject to funding constraints.”
INFORMATION: To suggest a location to Mr Cooper, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is more cycle parking needed in your area? Email email@example.com with your views.