St Neots business awarded first ever history plaque
- Credit: Archant
Brittains Furniture store has been awarded the first plaque by the St Neots Local History Society.
The plaque was given to the furniture shop on May 29 in recognition of its contribution to the town over 114 years.
The store, which began trading in 1904 when Frank Brittain set up shop in St Neots Road, Eaton Ford. At that time the shop sold furniture and second-hand bikes.
In 1908, Frank was joined in the business by his brother Archie, aged just 12. Archie would do the paraffin delivery round using a hand truck and would also repair the cycles.
Jim Brittain, unveiled the plaque on Tuesday, supported by his son Nigel and sales manager, Bohdamn Zyrun.
You may also want to watch:
The company has seen many changes over the years, but has tried to stick to its traditions and values as a family-run company.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 6 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 7 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 10 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer