St Neots author recalls Cambridge United’s glory days in new book
- Credit: Archant
A St Neots author has been reliving the season he spent following his favourite team up and down the country in his first book.
Robin Walters, 55, a night porter and retired police officer of Duck Lane, has written a fictional book that also recounts his experiences following Cambridge United in 1977/78 season.
There’s More Than One United focuses on the club’s second consecutive promotion into the old second division and the group of four youngsters who watched it happen.
He said: “It is not really a football book first and foremost, it is the story of the developing friendship between the lads, the problems they encounter in their quest not to miss a single game home or away, the dangers caused by a growing enmity with one of the most savage United football hooligans and how love, forgiveness and reconciliation can appear in the most unlikely of situations.
“It is a light-hearted book with a feel-good factor, which will, I hope, cause a few laughs, but it has a few serious moments as well as several surprises at the end. Although it is a work of fiction, many of the anecdotes contained in it are based on factual incidents experienced by me when I was doing exactly what the heroes of the book are attempting to accomplish.”
You may also want to watch:
INFORMATION: The novel will be published in mid to late July by Authors On Line of Gamlingay. It will be available from book shops and also on Amazon and as a Kindle edition. For further details, visit www.authorsonline.co.uk.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 4 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 8 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 Moving day for Black Cat Radio