St Neots author helps bands get tuned in to success
- Credit: Archant
She cut her teeth as a Hunts Post columnist in the mid-90s, before making her name interviewing major players in the music industry.
Emma Scott, 42, of Montagu Square, Eynesbury, has now released a ‘how-to’ book to help up and coming bands get signed, get fans … and not get dropped from their label.
If It Was My Band… is aimed at helping musicians make money from their craft, and avoid draining their bank accounts in the process.
Chapters include Starting Out, Getting Gigs, Building a Buzz, How to Manage the Band and Making Music a Full Time Job.
Alongside quirky illustrations by Sydonia Aitken-Ballard, there is a handy glossary of industry terms and contacts, as well as a ‘checklist for success’ which musicians can go through and tick boxes as they achieve each new step. Written through the eyes of a band member, each point in the book comes from a real-life situation that Ms Scott has experienced.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “Throughout my time as a radio and TV presenter, gig promoter, radio plugger and record label A&R, I have come into contact with thousands of bands. Big and small, signed and unsigned, professional and clueless, polite and rude – and it was my experience with all these that inspired me to show the more challenging ones where they’ve gone wrong in the past.”
It is her second book, following Break Your Band - A Guide To Getting Radio Airplay, in which she gave advice to help musicians grab the attention of DJs.
- 1 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 4 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 7 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 8 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 9 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
During her 25-year career in radio, she has worked at stations such as Kerrang!, Galaxy, and Metro FM, and interviewed artists including The Foo Fighters, Bloc Party, and My Chemical Romance. She has also enjoyed stints as a TV presenter, gig promoter, and A&R manager at an independent record label.
She added: “By reading this book, musicians will get to learn from other people’s mistakes and pick up hundreds of tips along the way – I’m really proud of it.”
INFORMATION: £8.99. For more, visit http://ifitwasmyband.com.