St Ives woman to run London Marathon for breast cancer charity to support her mum
- Credit: Archant
A woman who is running the London Marathon to raise money for a breast cancer charity to support her mum is appealing for donations.
Gemma Hardiman, 27, originally from St Ives, told The Hunts Post she decided to run the gruelling 26-mile race to raise funds for breast cancer research after her mum Ann, 54, discovered she had the disease.
Ann Hardiman, of Overcote Lane in Needingworth, was diagnosed with breast cancer in June last year and after chemotherapy and radiotherapy treatment she is now in remission.
“We are all extremely proud of her for being so strong and positive throughout her treatment. She truly is an inspiration,” said Gemma, a former St Ivo pupil.
This year’s London Marathon on Sunday, April 26 will be Gemma’s second and she is raising money for the Breast Cancer Campaign charity.
The charity funds research into breast cancer, which is the most common form of the disease with 50,000 women being diagnosed each year.
Last year, the charity handed over £14 million to 82 research projects in the UK.
- 1 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 2 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 3 Sex offender who 'wiped internet history' jailed for breaching court orders
- 4 Jail for paedophile who photographed abuse
- 5 New parklet opens in St Ives
- 6 Ancient relics from Iron Age discovered during road upgrade
- 7 Mother of Rikki Neave 'told the truth and nothing but the truth', jury told
- 8 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 9 Brampton Park golfers swing into action to raise money for hospice
- 10 Motion passed to send letter to Michael Gove after objections to incinerator plan
“I want to raise money to this amazing cause for better breast cancer services and to ensure that medical research is supported,” added Gemma, who is a paediatric nurse.
Gemma hopes to complete the race in four hours and 30 minutes and is training three or four times a week. All her family, including her mum, will be supporting her on the day.
INFORMATION: If you want to sponsor Gemma, visit http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/GemmaHardiman1.