St Ives takeaway fined for poor hygiene and unsafe cooking appliances
A KEBAB shop in St Ives has been fined after an inspector found poor hygiene standards and that staff were using unsafe gas appliances.
Mega Kebab, in Crown Street, was inspected on March 1, Huntingdon Magistrates’ Court was told last Tuesday (August 7).
An Environmental Health protection officer found poor standards of cleaning and disinfection, cross contamination risks, no documented food safety management system, unsupervised food handlers with no food hygiene training and a blocked hand wash basin, which meant staff couldn’t wash their hands.
A ventilation system was also found to be installed by an unregistered person.
Shaheed Naseem, of Mega Kebab, admitted the charges and was fined �4,000, ordered to pay Huntingdonshire District Council’s costs of �1,000 and a �15 victim surcharge.
You may also want to watch:
He had previously appeared before magistrates in October 2011, when the business was called Chilli Hut, when he admitted five charges of food hygiene offences.
?In a separate case on the same day, Bioset, trading as Ahmed Bros, was fined for three food hygiene offences.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 3 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 4 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 5 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 6 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 7 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess
- 8 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 9 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
In an unannounced inspection in October last year, a senior officer discovered a number of vacuum bags of minced meat, which had been produced on the premises, breaching a Remedial Action Notice served on the business in 2010.
Some packs of meat were later found in two restaurants in Huntingdonshire.
Abdus Subhan, director of Bioset at the time, admitted the charges of allowing meat produced by an unapproved establishment on the market.
He was fined �3,000, ordered to pay �2,000 costs and �15 victim surcharge.
Councillor Tom Sanderson, whose HDC portfolio includes environmental health, said: “We always try to work alongside food businesses and offer advice and support to ensure high standards are maintained for food safety.
“Prosecutions are rare but in this case there were clearly some very serious issues, and public health and safety comes first. I hope that the result will be a lasting reminder to the food business operator, about the importance of maintaining high standards.”