St Ives slimmer earns spot in regional finals after shedding seven stone
- Credit: Archant
A St Ives woman has been nominated for a regional slimming award after shedding more than seven stone.
Mandy Hall says she has had a new lease of life after dropping from a dress size 32 to a size 12, after joining Slimming World.
The 51 year-old, who has lost about seven-and-a-half stone, said that she was fed up being overweight and wanted to do something about it.
She said: “I decided to join [Slimming World] in 2016 as I was just so unhappy. I had such a bad lifestyle and wouldn’t even leave the house. Now I have lost all the weight I am like a new person. I go out all the time to meet my friends, and can run around with my family.
“I was virtually disabled as I could barely walk anywhere without being out of breath. I never saw my family as I was so overweight and spent all my time at home.
You may also want to watch:
“I was also on medication for my high blood pressure for 20 years, and was told I’d probably be on them for the rest of my life. So when I was taken off them it felt amazing, I’m like a new person.
“It took every part of me to walk into the group I go to and to not turn around, but it is the best thing I’ve ever done.
- 1 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 2 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 3 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 4 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 5 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 6 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 7 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 8 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
“My consultant has been amazing and the support of my Slimming World group is what helps me stay motivated.
“I also managed to convince my husband to go and he has lost three stone. I’ve been able to do so many things I couldn’t before, like go to Birmingham Christmas market and actually be able to walk around.
“I can now get my seat belt done up on a plane and walk down the aisle without having to walk sideways.”
Both Mandy and her husband won Miss Slinky and Mr Sleak 2017 because of their weight loss and, this year, Mandy has been nominated to go through to the regional awards.
“My consultant entered me into the regional competition, where people from all different groups across the county compete, and we are waiting to find out if I have got through. It’s really exciting,” she said.
Mandy attends the Slimming World group at the Crossways Centre in St Ives. The group is held on Thursday at 9:30am. To find out more call 01480 464296.