St Ives scout trip in doubt after thieves steal trailer carrying camping equipment
- Credit: Archant
A St Ives scout camping trip has been put in jeopardy after thieves stole a trailer storing £5,000 worth of equipment.
Anthony Gouldthorp, leader of the 7th and 8th Cambridgeshire FSE Marine Scouts, woke up this morning to find a Blue Line Trailer, with a ramp on the back, that was attached to his car outside his home in Waveney Road, St Ives, was missing.
The trailer, which has a KY08 AZD registration plate on it, was carrying camping stoves, tables, chairs, lanterns and other equipment ready for the scout group’s “wet camp” in St Ives over the weekend.
Mr Gouldthorp said that the camp, which was due to attract scouts from 50 other clubs from across the country, had been put in doubt.
He is appealing for people to keep their eyes out for the trailer as well as if anyone can help donate camping equipment ahead of this weekend to enable the camp to go ahead.
You may also want to watch:
“We have around 20 kids ranging from seven to 16-years-old in our group who were going and at the moment I’m not sure if they will be able to go anymore,” he told The Hunts Post.
“I don’t know how they did it as it was attached to my car but between 11pm yesterday and 6am today the trailer has been stolen. I’ve tried to move it myself and its a struggle to budge if there are a few of you.
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 5 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 6 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 9 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 10 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
“I’m 30 and I’ve been with this particular group all my life. All of our fundraising goes to buy the equipment we need and for it to vanish overnight is devastating.
“They’ve taken £10,000 from the scouts, £5,000 for the trailer and £5,000 for the equipment.”
A Cambridgeshire police spokesman said: “We are investigating the theft of a trailer filled with scout camping equipment from outside a house in Waveney Road, St Ives.
“The trailer was stolen between 10pm last night and 7.15am today (Wednesday).”
INFORMATION: Anyone with any information should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.
If you would like to donate camping equipment, call Mr Gouldthorp on 07709 451932.