St Ives man to take on London to Paris bike ride for Parkinson’s charity
- Credit: Archant
A St Ives man is to take on a mammoth bike ride from London to Paris to raise money for a Parkinson’s Disease charity.
Ivan Ward, 64, of Heron Way, was diagnosed with the condition 15 years ago, and although he takes a daily concoction of 30 tablets to keep the symptoms under control and has had to give up other sports he has found he can still ride his bike.
“I would find it incredibly hard work to walk or run any distance, but put me on a bike - and no problem,” he said.
He will set off from Blackheath in south London on September 2 and complete his 300-mile trip in just four days returning to England on September 6.
“Cycling has been part of my life for so long and although I can’t take part competitively in other sports as I am not able to respond quickly enough I can cycle long distances. I bought a new bike about 18 months ago as other sports were becoming harder for me and then decided on the London to Paris trip which was just the challenge I needed.”
You may also want to watch:
Ivan, a former painter and decorator who lives with his wife Kath, will have a celebratory meal in Paris and then return home via the Euro Tunnel.
He has already received a donation for his Just Giving fund from A&N Audio in St Neots and the company who provided him with cycling clothing. Ivan is raising money for Parkinson’s UK.
- 1 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 2 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 3 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 4 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 5 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 6 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 7 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 8 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip