St Ives hair salon Armando’s celebrates 50 years in business
- Credit: Archant
There was cause for celebration at a hair salon in St Ives earlier this month, as the business marked its 50th anniversary of trading in the town.
Armando’s, in Bridge Street , first opened its doors on November 11, 1966, after owner, Armando Nigro, arrived in the UK from Italy in 1962.
“After four years in England, working for Ernest MacMasters for two of those four years, my work permit expired and I decided to go self-employed,” he said.
Since then, the businessman says he’s seen lots of changes at the salon, which employs six people, but he still enjoys working.
He even hopes to pass Armando’s down the family line, with his son, Maurizio, 43, currently working there, and 21-year-old grandson, Mario, now learning the trade.
You may also want to watch:
“The secret is just to work very hard and get on. It doesn’t matter how old you are, you can always improve yourself,” he said.
“I’m 73 and I still enjoy keeping my hand in the business and meeting people and cutting hair. It’s lovely.”
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
- 5 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 6 Manager of BID Huntingdon is retiring after 11 years of service
- 7 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 8 Trio from Huntingdon shine on the European stage at major footgolf tournament
- 9 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
- 10 New 'Uber' style bus service TING to launch this month