John Wong, of St Ives Chinese and Thai Takeaway on the Broadway, pleaded guilty to eight food hygiene offences at Peterborough Magistrates Court on February 19. The case was brought by Huntingdonshire District Council following a visit by its environmental health protection officer, Belinda Betham, on September 2 last year. During a routine she witnessed cross-contamination risks in the kitchen, flies on food, blocked drains in the rear yard, and poor standards of cleaning and disinfection. Staff were seen placing a dirty mop bucket on a draining board, and later preparing food on the same area without cleaning and disinfecting the surface. Mouldy and unfit food were also found and disposed of. HDC said following the inspection, Mr Wong agreed to close the premises for cleaning and disinfection. Similar conditions were found an inspection in December 2012. Mr Wong, who apologised for not managing the takeaway properly, was fined £2,400 and ordered to pay £600 costs and a victim surcharge of £120. Councillor Robin Howe, cabinet member for healthy and active communities, said: We always try to work alongside food businesses and offer advice and support to ensure high standards are maintained in food safety prosecutions are rare. In this case there were clearly some very serious issues, and public health and safety must come first.