St Ives fireman runs half-marathon laden with fire-fighting equipment
- Credit: Archant
A St Ives fireman will run the Cambridge Half Marathon dressed head-to-toe in his life-saving kit later this month.
Lee Parnell, 32, based at the on-call fire station in the town, will also carry breathing equipment weighing almost 20kg to help raise funds for charities close to his heart.
Addenbrookes Charitable Trust will receive part of the proceeds after Rosie Maternity Hospital saved his daughter’s life.
Born in May 2015, Emily failed to start breathing after she swallowed fluid during labour.
She ended up contracting an infection and had to be kept in the neonatal intensive care unit for a week.
You may also want to watch:
“My daughter is now perfectly healthy and I have no doubt this is due to the excellent care she got at the start of her life,” Lee wrote on his fundraising page.
The Fire Fighters Charity will also receive funds, enabling them to continue to support injured fire-fighters and their families, including offering advice and rehabilitation.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 3 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 4 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 5 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 6 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 7 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 8 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 9 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess
- 10 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
Lee said: “Being a fireman I know about the amazing work this charity does for injured firefighters and their families in their hour of need.
“It’s something all firefighters hope they will never need to use, but are so glad it is there.”
Lee has already raised more than £500 and will complete the half-marathon on February 28.
To donate, please visit virginmoneygiving.com/Lee_Parnell