Pub’s backing for free refill campaign is helping to save the planet
- Credit: Archant
A St Ives business is doing its bit for the environment by signing up to a scheme that promotes free water refills.
The Golden Lion is now part of the scheme that allows St Ives residents to pop into the pub and get their water bottle filled up in order to help save the planet.
Water Refill Campaign is a national project that aims to make refilling water bottles as low cost and convenient as possible, by introducing refill points on every street.
Managing Director Kevin Charity said it was estimated that in the UK around 800 plastic bottles a minute were ending up in landfill or as litter which found its way into waterways and eventually out to sea.
Kevin said: “ Single use plastic bottles are expensive to produce, use up valuable natural resources and create mountains of waste once we’ve gulped down the contents.
You may also want to watch:
“So St Ives residents keen to do their bit for the campaign are now welcome to call into The Golden Lion for a water bottle top up, and besides, buying a reusable bottle would end up saving them a small fortune.
“We have already removed plastic straws from our business and are looking into other ways to reduce our plastic.”
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 3 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 4 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 5 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 6 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 7 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 8 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
The hotel and restaurant is now displaying a sticker which has been given to them by The Free Water Refill Campaign which indicates that residents can stop there and fill up their water bottle.
To find out more about the scheme visit: www.refill.org.uk.