Son of former St Ives school headteacher takes on Land’s End to John O’Groats challenge for Woodlands
- Credit: Archant
Cycling pals Tim Rhodes and Trevor Tiller have set off on their 12-day mammoth pedal from Land’s End to John O’Groats.
The friends are taking on the 800-mile challenge in aid of the Woodlands Cancer Centre at Hinchingbrooke Hospital, Huntingdon.
Mr Rhodes, son of former St Ivo headteacher John, said they wanted to make a contribution to the £800,000 needed to build an extension so more patients can be treated at the unit.
“I have had friends and family who have had to go to Hinchingbrooke for things to do with cancer,” said Mr Rhodes, formerly of Hill Rise, St Ives, but now living in Cambridge where he is a college boatman.
“I don’t think we’ll be breaking any records. We’ll be cycling an average of about 80 miles a day, so we can expect to be a bit saddle sore by the time we get there. But it’s a great cause and it will be well worth it.”
You may also want to watch:
The pair, who met while serving in the Army in the early 1980s, left a foggy Land’s End at 8am on Monday on the 80-mile first leg, a hilly ride to Sheviock, near the Cornwall/Devon border. Yesterday’s riding started in bright sunshine and was due to see them to Taunton in Somerset. Today is Stratford-upon-Avon resident Trevor’s 52nd birthday.
Mr Rhodes, who is 52 and is married to Nina with two children, Katie, 20, and Harry, 19, estimated they would make it to John O’Groats by Friday, April 18.
Their fundraising target was £1,500. To support them, visit www.justgiving.com/Tim-Rhodes1.
- 1 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 2 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 6 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 7 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 8 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 9 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 10 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse