Somersham women’s Kenyan adventure for cancer charity
TWO friends from Somersham have taken the term ‘get on your bike’ to the extreme.
In just over three weeks time, Jo Procter, 39, and Vicki Chaplin, 38, will fly into Nairobi in Kenya to begin a 400km (250 mile) cycle ride for the charity Women v Cancer.
The five-day challenge will see them ride through rainforests, pass some of the world’s greatest lakes and cycle over the testing terrain of Kenya’s Rift Valley.
Jo, of The Trundle, told The Hunts Post: “The biggest challenge will be the 26km climb up to 2,000km that we have to make on the third day, but people have been so kind in sponsoring us, so it’ll be worth it.”
Both women have been taking spinning classes seven days a week since August last year to get in shape, and will join 90 other women on the challenge.
In one final fundraising push, the friends are holding a Bon Voyage to Kenya party at the Victory Hall, Somersham. The theme will be pink, purple and blue and all profits will be added to the �7,000 already raised.
INFORMATION: Bon Voyage to Kenya is on Saturday, February 11 at 7.30pm.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 3 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 4 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 5 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 6 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 7 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 8 Silent protest at Camp Beagle as vans leave the site
- 9 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 10 Newly elected mayor and deputy mayor of St Neots announced
The night includes a disco and people can bring their own drink. Tickets �7.50 available by calling 07540 170472. To sponsor Jo and Vicki online visit www.justgiving.com/joprocter