Somersham man who attacked his wife and damaged mobile phone to be sentenced by magistrates
- Credit: Archant
A 68-year-old man beat his wife in an “unprovoked” assault, a court heard.
Peter Campbell, of Grange Road, in Somersham, attacked his wife Joanne Campbell after the pair had been drinking together in the family home on October 11.
At the time of the incident, the couple were in the process of a divorce but still living together in the house where the incident occurred.
Anthea Harris, prosecuting at Huntingdon Magistrates Court said: “What happened was unprovoked - pushing her against the wall, smashing her head into the window and smacking her to the floor.”
The court heard how, during the attack, Campbell slapped his wife several times.
You may also want to watch:
“He then threw her phone into the sink which was full of water – this prevented Mrs Campbell from calling the police,” added Mrs Harris.
Mrs Campbell managed to escape from her husband to her neighbours’ house where the police were called.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 6 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 7 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 10 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
Defending, Samantha Marsh said: “Something on this occasion caused Mr Campbell to behave in such a way.”
Campbell pleaded guilty to the charges of assault by beating and criminal damage to property valued under £5,000 after damaging the phone owned by his wife.
Sentencing was adjourned until December 1 for pre-sentence reports to be prepared.
The 68-year-old has been given bail on the condition that he doesn’t contact Mrs Campbell, who has since left the marital home.