Somersham house fire caused by cigarette
A HOUSE fire in Somersham started in a bedroom after cigarette sets curtain alight.
Firefighters were called to a house fire in Coronation Avenue at 2.50pm yesterday (Tuesday). They extinguished the bedroom fire and ventilated the property. The room was completely smoke damaged.
The fire was accidental and was caused by an improperly discarded cigarette.
Mark Edgley, watch commander at Chatteris, said: “The cigarette was not put out properly and managed to set fire to the curtains and other furniture.
“When you have finished a cigarette it is still hot enough to start a fire, as this incident demonstrates. Make sure it is fully out - and keep ashtrays and smoking material away from anything flammable like curtains.”