Somersham dad draws inspiration from daughters in strongman bid
- Credit: Archant
Encouragement from his two daughters inspired Dan Gardner to become a champion strongman.
The 38-year-old, from Somersham, was watching the World’s Strongest Man competition on TV at Christmas when he was urged on by his daughters, Charley and Ruby, to see if he could earn a place at next year’s event.
Despite his initial reservations, Dan was reminded by his girls that there’s “no such word as can’t” – a phrase they had become used to him telling them - and he was determined to show them that anything is possible.
He said: “The next day I went into the gym with a new found sense of commitment and determination to prove to both my daughters that with hard work and confidence in yourself you can achieve anything.”
Dan joined Just In Gyms, in Old Hurst, and enlisted the services of personal trainer Liam Rushmer. Together, the duo regularly clocked up more than 20 hours a week in the gym and, by July, Dan was ready to enter Suffolk’s Strongest Man.
You may also want to watch:
An impressive debut performance saw Dan place second, thereby earning him a spot at the East of England’s Strongest Man competition, but he had little more than a month to prepare.
Dan said: “During those six weeks the training was more intense with extended hours in the gym as the weights went up and up.”
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Huntingdon assistant land buyer wins graduate award from her peers
- 8 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 9 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 10 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
The East of England finals took place on September 19, in Great Dunmow, Essex, and despite coming up against the best lifters from across four counties, Dan powered his way to victory.
To clinch the title, he completed a 100kg log press, 110kg farmer’s walk for 40m, 255kg deadlift, 300kg super yolk for 20m, 55kg giant dumbbell press and a Hercules car hold.
Dan said: “It might not be World’s Strongest Man yet, but winning East of England’s Strongest Man is amazing and just proves to my girls, you can do whatever you set your mind to.”
Dan will return to training soon in preparation for England’s Strongest Man, which is scheduled to take place next April.
For more information, contact Liam on 07738493150 or visit www.liamrushmer.com
To follow Dan or discuss sponsorship contact him via his Facebook page - Dan Gardner or at firstname.lastname@example.org