Somersham churchyard extension moves to next phase
WORK has been completed on a churchyard extension at the St John the Baptist Church in Somersham.
The churchyard was handed over on November 4 at the conclusion of the four-week initial ground work project, completed by Mick George Ltd.
The extension will remain fenced off from general access for the next 18 months, while Somersham Parish Council landscapes the area to prepare it for burials before handing it over to the church.
The work involved the importation of soil to increase the land levels, install land drainage, carry out work to the spring and pond area, install a weir, lay the footpath and grass-seed the topsoil.
Further work will be required to restore the jointly-owned boundary wall to the west before the extended churchyard area can be accessed.
You may also want to watch:
Parish council chairman Councillor Steve Criswell thanked Mick George Ltd for the work, adding: “This is a major milestone in our project to provide the burial ground needed for many years to come.”
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 4 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 5 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 6 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 7 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 8 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 9 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 10 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding