Silver-lining for garden designer after strong showing at Sandringham
- Credit: Archant
A landscape gardener and designer from St Ives was awarded a silver medal for her entry to the Sandringham Flower Show.
Steph Humes, who runs Davies Landscape Design, named her garden 'A Chicken Keeper's Corner', an entry that was designed and built to support the work of the British Hen Welfare Trust.
She said: "The weather conditions were rather extreme but I kept on digging because I strongly feel that chickens deserve a home once they have finished laying in the commercial industry. '
"Our gardens are getting smaller and I appreciate not everyone can keep chickens, but the garden is also aimed at educating people about making better buying choices, growing organically and living sustainably."
The garden featured organic grown fruit and vegetables, biodegradable hard landscaping materials and flowers that reflect the colours of the sunrise and sunset.
You may also want to watch:
Steph said: "We are all thinking more about the products we buy and how we can help build a sustainable future and I have tried to reflect this within the garden."
Steph re-homes ex-caged hens from Wood Green Animal Shelter based in Godmanchester, which works with the British Hen Welfare Trust.
- 1 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 2 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 3 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 6 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 7 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 8 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
"They make great pets, have fantastic personalities, individual characters and love human contact," added Steph.
The flower show took place on July 24 in Nofolk.
If you wish to find out more about re-homing, education in regards to the egg industry, or would like to donate, visit the British Hen Welfare Trust Website www.bhwt.org.uk.