Shock as X-ray reveals cat belonging to St Ives couple has had leg shattered by rifle pellet
- Credit: Archant
A St Ives couple’s pet cat has had a leg amputated after being shot with an air rifle.
Claire Slora’s tabby Arthur was hit by a pellet last Tuesday (March 10) near their home in Dunnock Way.
About two hours later, the feline, who turns two on Friday, returned, howling as he came in through his cat flap.
“About 8pm I heard the noise like a cat fight,” Miss Slora, 35, told The Hunts Post.
“I tried to call him in and for my regrets I didn’t go out to see him.
“At 10pm, I heard a massive howl as he came in. He was covered in blood and you could see bits of bone falling out.”
Miss Slora took him to Cromwell Vets in Huntingdon where an X-ray revealed a pellet shattered in his leg.
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 3 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
- 4 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 5 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 6 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 7 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 8 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 9 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 10 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
“The morning after I received a call to tell me they had to amputate his leg,” she said. “It was horrible but I thought they might have to put him down.”
Miss Slora added: “I don’t know who could have done this but clearly they need help. How can anyone in their right mind hurt a defenceless cat or animal? I want them to face the punishment for what they have done. I also want to warn other pet owners.”
Rebecca Falconer, a vet at Cromwell, said: “I have seen two or three animals who have been shot and this was one of the worst. The first vet could feel his leg was broken and normally we wouldn’t expect it as it’s usually as a result of a cat fight, but it wasn’t until the X-ray showed there was a pellet that had caused the damage.”
Arthur is now getting used to walking on three legs.
Miss Slora said: “He has adapted amazingly. Today he jumped up onto the tumble dryer when my back was turned which was amazing. He is still cuddly and his normal self though he does get off balance occasionally.”
INFORMATION: Anyone with information should call Cambridgeshire police on 101, quoting CF0097130315.