North West Cambs MP welcomes news that outdoor sports venues are to open
- Credit: Archant
Shailesh Vara MP has welcomed the Prime Minister’s announcement to allow sports fans back into sports venues from December 3.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson told the Commons earlier today: “I can therefore confirm that national restrictions in England will end on December 2, and they will not be renewed. From next Wednesday people will be able to leave their home for any purpose, and meet others in outdoor public spaces, subject to the Rule of Six. Collective worship, weddings and outdoor sports can resume.”
Mr Vara recently tabled a debate in the House of Commons arguing for Peterborough United FC’s fans to be allowed to return to the stadium in a COVID safe and socially distanced environment. This followed a visit that Mr Vara made to the London Road stadium and after having seen the detailed plans prepared by the club to allow spectators back in.
As well as the Peterborough United stadium being in Mr Vara’s constituency, North West Cambridgeshire is also home to the Peterborough Panthers Speedway at the East of England Showground.
Following the announcement Mr Vara said: “This is excellent news. It means that sports venues such as those of Peterborough United FC and Peterborough Panthers Speedway can now begin to allow fans back into their stadiums in a limited, safe and socially distanced environment.
You may also want to watch:
“As well as providing entertainment for the spectators, importantly this will allow the sports facilities to start earning some much needed revenue again”.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Former Stevenage midfielder is the new manager of Eynesbury Rovers
- 7 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 8 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 9 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester