Shailesh Vara MP pays final respect to Baroness Thatcher after attending funeral at St Paul’s Cathedral
- Credit: Archant
NORTH West Cambs MP Shailesh Vara attended Baroness Thatcher’s funeral today (Wednesday).
Mr Vara attended the service at St Paul’s Cathedral, London. Afterwards he said: “The funeral service for Baroness Thatcher was dignified and very moving. It was befitting one of Britain’s most successful Prime Ministers. The applause and cheering along the route to St Paul’s Cathedral was recognition that she restored people’s pride in Britain and once more made our country great.
“Much has been said about Baroness Thatcher who, from being a grocer’s daughter went on to become Britain’s first and so far only woman Prime Minister, in a world of politics dominated by men. But she was much more than a Stateswoman. She was also a wife, mother, and grandmother. And that was very clear from today’s service.
“Everyone at the service will have their own memories of Baroness Thatcher. I certainly have mine, including the time when I was a Parliamentary candidate and she campaigned for me. Her presence, quite literally, brought the town to a standstill.
“As Baroness Thatcher makes her final journey, there can be no doubt of her place in history.”
You may also want to watch:
Huntingdonshire District Council’s flag was flown at half mast today.
- 1 Emergency services close St Neots road after medical emergency
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 6 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 7 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 8 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack