Developer ‘hoping’ to start work on derelict RAF site following years of delays
- Credit: Archant
The future of the former RAF Upwood site was high on the agenda as MP Shailesh Vara met with the owners of the site.
Mr Vara, along with councillors Steve Corney, John Palmer, Adela Costello and Jeff Clarke, met with Adrian Sail, of Strawsons Property, and raised a number of issues, including plans for the site and the need to address anti-social behaviour on the land.
The news came as firefighters were called to the derelict site again on Sunday following reports of an arson attack in one of the buildings.
Both sides agreed to continue speaking and to meet again in the near future.
Following the meeting, Mr Vara said: “We were all very pleased to meet with Mr Sail and raise our concerns with him. It was a constructive meeting, where the future development proposals were discussed as well as the problem of anti-social behaviour at the site.”
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Corney said: “It was very good to get all levels of local authority, along with our MP, together with the owners of RAF Upwood around the table. We are working together to try and eliminate any issues holding back the site and hope that we can soon start to see some progress made.”
Proposals to build on RAF Upwood by Strawsons Property were first considered by Huntingdonshire District Council in 2013, but after a number of setbacks, including drainage problems and traffic objections, it is taken more than five years for plans to come to fruition.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 5 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 6 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 7 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 8 Aggressive and controlling partner jailed
- 9 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess
- 10 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
Mr Sail said: “Strawsons Property are fully committed to bringing forward the site of former RAF Upwood for development and hope to be able to commence the site preparation and demolition phase of the development this spring with the commencement of house building to follow later this year.”