Security at RAF Wyton “under constant review” as hunt for men who targeted Norfolk base continues
- Credit: Archant
Officials at RAF Wyton have stressed that security at the base is kept “under constant review” as the hunt for two men suspected of trying to abduct a serviceman at a base in Norfolk continues.
On Wednesday, an RAF officer, who is in his 20s, was jogging near RAF Marham airbase at around 3.30pm when a man got out of a dark people carrier, believed to be a Ford Galaxy, shouted at the serviceman and tried to drag him into the vehicle.
Norfolk police said there was then a “melee” when the married RAF officer fought off the attacker.
A second man then got out of the car carrying a knife, which police said was around three inches long. He went to help the first attacker who was lying on the floor and they made off in the car. The RAF officer, who was not in uniform, ran off and is described as being ‘very shaken’ by what happened.
Police investigating the incident have launched an appeal for information regarding the perpetrators. Although officials at RAF Wyton said they would not be commenting on their own security arrangements, they said that the safety of their personnel remained of paramount importance.
You may also want to watch:
Wing Commander Phil Owen said: “We do not comment on matters of operational security but the safety of our personnel is our paramount consideration, therefore our security posture is kept under constant review.”
Officers from the RAF Police were also seen in the area around Wyton airfield on Thursday.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 5 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 6 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 7 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 8 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'