SECRET GARDEN PARTY: 20 arrested for drugs and one in hospital after suspected overdose
- Credit: Archant
TWENTY people were arrested at the Secret Garden Party for possession of drugs and a man was taken to hospital after a suspected overdose.
The four-day music festival in Abbots Ripton (July 25-28) saw a 32-year-old taken to Hinchingbrooke Hospital just after 2pm on Sunday after a suspected drugs overdose.
The East Anglian Air Ambulance was also scrambled at around 8.30am after a 20-year-old man fell and injured his head on Sunday morning in the middle of the festival grounds. He was taken to the Huntingdon hospital by land ambulance.
Paramedics were called out twice more on Sunday to treat a person with a suspected broken leg and a woman who had broken her wrist.
Last year was hit by a number of thefts, many from tents while occupants were sleeping, and this year there were 11 reported thefts.
A 20-year-old from London was charged with stealing two mobile phones from tents, a 20-year-old man from Oxford was cautioned for theft and a 37-year-old from London was released without charge.
On the first day of the festival, a 25-year-old man from Stevenage was charged with causing actual bodily harm and assaulting a police officer. A 20-year-old woman was also cautioned for common assault.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 3 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 4 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 5 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 6 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 7 Silent protest at Camp Beagle as vans leave the site
- 8 White roses and political history in Huntingdonshire
- 9 East West Rail host public event to discuss controversial project
- 10 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
A 25-year-old wanted by the Metropolitan police in connection with an assault was also arrested.
Four other people were arrested during the festival.
Of the drugs arrests, four were with intent to supply. A 19-year-old man from West Yorkshire and two 26-year-old men from London and Warrington were arrested on suspicion of possessing drugs with intent to supply and have been bailed.
Dominic Champion, 20, of Moat Lane, Heathfield, was charged with possessing a class B drug with intent to supply and appeared at Huntingdon Magistrates’ Court on Monday.
Detective Superintendent Paul Fullwood, who oversaw the policing operation, said: “The event was largely good natured and enjoyed by thousands of people.
“Unfortunately there was a small minority of people who were looking to supply drugs at the festival and we took robust action against those suspected of being involved in such criminality.”